Category Archives: statewide
The full Pennsylvania Senate took a historic vote yesterday by passing a transportation bill that explicitly supports biking and walking. We worked hard to make this possible!
The Pennsylvania Senate’s SB1 includes:
- A multi-modal fund of $80-$150 million annually, to which bicycle and pedestrian projects can apply for funding;
- A minimum of $2 million of that fund must be spent on bicycle and pedestrian facilities annually;
- The broadening of this funding to include pedestrian safety projects, streetscape & lighting;
- A finding that describes Pennsylvania’s comprehensive transportation system to include PA’s “numerous bicycle and pedestrian facilities,” which will make it easier for bicycle/pedestrian projects to compete for highway funds.
- Join us in Harrisburg on Tuesday, June 11th at 10:00 AM. We will be rallying on the steps of the Capitol building to thank the PA Senate for passing a transportation bill that includes bike and ped funding, and for continuing to advocate for making our roads and communities safer for bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Tell your legislator that you support dedicated funding for walking and biking pathways in the state. Send an email to your state representative.
In honor of National Bike Month, the League of American Bicyclists has released its latest Bicycle Friendly States Ranking. In the fifth annual assessment, Pennsylvania achieved a #15 ranking nationally. “We are encouraged to see significant progress in top states … Continue reading
On Monday, April 2, 2012 the Four Foot Safe Passing Law will go into effect. The law requires that: Bicycles must be operated in the right hand lane, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of roadway. … Continue reading
Are you heading to the 2012 National Bike Summit this week? We have prepared information sheets for our Congressional representative. We will provide copies to you before the meetings on Thursday. If you can’t make it on Thursday, we encourage … Continue reading
Washington, DC – January 23, 2012 – In a new report, Bicycling and Walking in the United States: 2012 Benchmarking Report, the Alliance for Biking & Walking ranks all 50 states and the 51 largest U.S. cities on bicycling and … Continue reading